There’s an easy way to celebrate — the culinary experts at Williams-Sonoma are having an all-day party with free samples of beef bourguignon (the first recipe in “Mastering the Art of French Cooking”) and birthday cake. Julia herself used to shop Williams-Sonoma and it’s so delightful to imagine her revering the Le Cruest and Kitchen Aid offerings in 2013.
Here are a few:
• “The only real stumbling block is fear of failure. In cooking you’ve got to have a what-the-hell attitude.”
• “The only time to eat diet food is while you’re waiting for the steak to cook.”
• “If you’re afraid of butter, use cream.”
• “Fat gives things flavor.”
• “I think every woman should have a blowtorch.”
• “The loveliest thing you can cook for someone who’s close to you is about as nice a Valentine you can give.”
• “I always give my bird a generous butter massage before I put it in the oven. Why? Because I think the chicken likes it — and, more important, I like to give it.”
• “You don’t have to cook fancy or complicated masterpieces — just good food from fresh ingredients.”
Now and forever — bon appetit, Julia.